Englewood, Ohio: Through the Years...

Meeting

Regular meetings are held at 114 Valleyview Dr., Englewood, OH on the second Wednesday of each month. 7:00 p.m. April - October and 1:00 p.m. November - March.
See Map...

History Center Hours

The History Center is open to the public. Scheduled visiting hours are from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m every Saturday from April through November, weather permitting, and also by appointment. Call 937-832-1858.

Mailing Address:
RTHS
114 Valleyview Drive Englewood, OH 45322

Follow us on Twitter

 

 

2004-2015
All rights reserved.
Randolph Twp. Historical Society


englewood.jpg (1398588 bytes) Englewood, founded as Harrisburg, was not laid out until 1841, but the Rasors, Herrs, Gishes, and Stutzmans had purchased lands upon which the town was built in the early 1800s.  The building of the National Road put Englewood on the map and construction of hotels and other businesses to accommodate travelers helped the town to grow.  Both the D.C. &T. narrow gauge railroad and D.C.&P. Traction Line, which ran along the Dayton-Covington Pike, went through town.  Construction of Englewood Dam and later the proximity of the town to the Dayton Airport, Interstate 70, and Englewood Reserve has enabled the city to grow and attract industries.
click to enlarge
   
 

Some time after 1869 the Burlington, Delphos and Toledo Railway Company built a narrow gage line through Randolph Twp.(soon after became C. H. & D) The RR made sure that the Kinsey Nursery would have a freight station to facilitate the shipping of the thousands of trees and vines each year. The Kinsey Station was located on the north side of what is now Kinsey Rd.  It was located one tenth of a mile West of  Taywood Rd. on the North side. Today the power lines follows the old RR right a way.

   
 
 
This Covered  Bridge carried the traffic of the National Rd. over the Stillwater River until the National Rd. was re-routed over the Englewood Dam in 1922
   
 
  Looking East over the National Rd. and the C.H.& D. RR tracks. The Berger Lumber Co. on the left.
   
 
  Looking at the S.E. corner of the National Rd and  Main St. (Covington Pike)
   
  Englewood
  Inter-urban traction approaches from South at intersection of 40 and 48.
   
1926 aerial photos for Englewood were taken by William Mayfield. William took aerial photos of forty-six local towns and cities in conjunction with Rike- Kumler's 73rd anniversary celebration.