Volume 11, Issue 3
From Glynn Marsh
Welcome to summer! Can you believe that the RTHS History Center has been open now for almost a year? It seems like the time has flown by with many exciting things going on within our organization. The Randolph Schools exhibit is still up in the main room, and the National Road exhibit, first designed in 2006 for the bicentennial of the historic road, has been reinstalled on the lower level. We are busy taping oral histories interviews with longtime area residents to preserve their memories of the community before they are forgotten. Our membership continues to grow as more and more people become aware of our existence and the historic building where we are located. To mark the first anniversary of our opening, we have planned a very special program that relates to the building itself.
Please join us at the History Center on Sunday afternoon, July 26, 2009 from 2:30 to 4 PM when we will hear about the history of our church building and celebrate the occasion with an old-fashioned "hymn sing". Many of you know that Paul and Mary Stump, lifetime members of the historical society, also are longtime members of the Englewood Dunkard Brethren Church that held services in our building for more than eighty years. Shirley Frick, one of Paul and Mary's daughters and the acknowledge family historian, says the Dunkards held their first service in the church on Valleyview Drive on July 20,1926 - so the month of July is special for all of us!
Shirley will speak for about a half hour on the history of the Englewood Dunkard Brethren Church and its origins. Mary (Berry) Stone and her sister Esther (Berry) Blocher of York Pa. grew up in the church and all of the Stump children attended. We will look forward to hearing Stump family stories of church activities through the years and the important role the church played in their lives. Following the history lesson, members of the Stump family and other Brethren friends from the community will lead us in an old-fashioned hymn sing. The 1901 Brethren Hymn Book will be used, so members who have their own copy are urged to bring it. Some extra copies will be on hand. It should be a memorable occasion, with voices raised in a-cappella singing once again in the historic building.
After the hymn sing, cookies and soft drinks will be available in the lower level of the history center where the exhibit, "Along the National Road" can be enjoyed.
Those of you who live locally will have noticed that a new brightly colored mural is being painted on the wall at the northwest corner of Route 40/48 in Englewood. The Society was asked to suggest historic photos the artist might use for inspiration. The Ohio National Road Association (ONRA) will be installing a history sign on the same corner. The Society worked with (ONRA) representatives on the narrative and photos to be used on the sign, which will include information about the covered bridge that brought the National Road over the Stillwater River east of Harrisburg (Englewood), and various businesses located along National Road in the 1900s.