COLUMNS FROM SOME RECENT "RANDOLPH TIMES" NEWSLETTERS
Excerpts from the April 2004 "Randolph Times" newsletter, Volume 6, Issue 2
The President's Message from Paul Dewey
In keeping with Randolph Township Bicentennial year anniversary, I am writing about the Justice of the Peace. This position (Justice of the Peace) is provided for in our federal and state Constitutions. A debt of $20 has to be due before a jury trial can be requested. The duties of the Justice of the Peace besides performing marriages, holds court for non felony cases and kept a Stray Animal Record Book. They were responsible for keeping the peace in the Township. My information was obtained from the J.P. Court Docket of George W.
Wogaman. He lived in the Sec 18 SW. in Randolph Twp. In the early years, farm families and family business that supported farming made up the majority of the residents of our township.
The first 100 years farmers in our township would have used split rail fences, until wire fences became available and more affordable. Poor fences enabled farm animals to escape from time to time. If an unknown horse arrived at your farm it was important to report it to the Justice of the Peace with a complete description of the horse or animal. Failing to do so, could cause one to wondering if you stole the horse. The following was copied from the Stray Animal Record book from Dayton, OH in 1804. Benjamin Van Cleve found a heifer, on the 10th day of January 1804. It was recorded like this: taken up by Benjamin Van Cleve and appraised by Jerome Holt and William Mauls on the 10th day of January 1804 A Brown heifer near 2 yrs. old has white on her belly, legs, marked with a crop and split on the left ear and a hole in the right ear. Appraised to $5. transcript from J. Folkerth JP Dayton. If you discovered your animal missing you would go to the J.P. to see if someone had found and recorded it.
From the pages of the Justice of the Peace George W. Wogaman 1884-1913 court docket book. We are able to get a glimpse of what the community of Randolph Township, Montgomery County, Ohio was like. The Township was served by nine different constables during this time. First case page 42,
T.W. Theirolf & Bro. Vs John Bell 1897. The defended has run a debt with the plaintiff, a blacksmith. From 1890-1892. The defendant had 4 new shoes made $2.40 and 2 old shoes repaired $0.30, had his wagon repaired in 1891 $21.60, received credit for old iron $1.00, pd. cash $4.00, left a bal. of $18.00. No further credits received since 1892. Sworn to and submitted before me this 8th day of March AD 1897. George W.
Wogaman, JP. constable fee mileage $2.30. The summons 25 cents affidavit .40, attachment, .40, filing papers .10, record-words $1.00, satisfaction .10. The plaintiff was granted an additional damages suit for $26. The constable delivered the copy of the writ and summons on March 9th to the defendant. Whereas he worked out a compromise by paying the principle $18.00 and half the court cost.$2.50 The plaintiff paid all other cost.
On Sept 1897 a summons was issued after Daniel Allaman presented a notarized statement that he was administrator for the estate of Walter J. Thomson. A one Sol Coble owed $51.78 to the estate. Constable Samuel Gabel returned with summons endorsements Sept. 16th 1897 of both the defendant and the plaintiff, they were to appear Sept. 21st before George Wagaman JP. On Sept. 21st 1897 the plaintiff appeared the defendant did not. judgment by default for plaintiff, I hereby render for $51.75 and interest and cost and tax at $3.25. On Sept. 29th 1897 the defendant presented surety signed by Jacob Iams which read in part hereby promise and undertake to pay the amount of said judgment, interest and cost, and the cost that may occur signed Jacob
Iams, .Surety. This statement was then duly signed 29th May 1898. The bill was paid in full to the J.P. April 6, 1898. A receipt was on record that read, received of George Wogaman J.P. Randolph Township Montgomery County, Ohio. Judgment in full of $51.78 and interest vs. Sol Coble signed by D. W.
Allaman. In the Montgomery County map Atlas of 1895 a Sol Coble lived in SW sec. 13 that was formerly in Randolph Twp. This debit was for 2 Visits @$3.00 ea. and medicine @.50 to $2.00 ea. Bill showed treatment for daughter-in-law, daughter? and a boy and girl. After partial payment bal. remains $51.75 Note, at this time most promissory notes only promised value to a said amount. Barter was acceptable. The docket had a case in May 1897 where the plaintiff paid the following June. Load of clover hay @$8.00, Sept....by 20 lbs. of oats @ 25 cents = $5.00, Oct. one load 38
bu. corn @.50 = $19.00, Nov. 10 bu. corn @.50 = $5.00, Dec. 50 lbs. Lard @.75 = $3.50 and a load of 2cd crop hay @ $3.00.
In another suit John Sheets brought a landlord complaint against Charles Turner for not vacating the property located on main St. lot #21 Union Ohio 1899 held over his said term since 21st day of Aug 1899. Constable Simson Boyer delivered summons Oct 13 1899. defendant's
att. W. L. Martindale asked for a continuance and jury trial. Trial set for Oct. 20, 1899 at 9:00 am. The trial resulted in plaintiff paying all cost and case was dismissed, Oct. 19, 1899.
A special thanks to the Wright State University, Paul Laurence Dunbar Library for their assistance in researching this writing.
THE FAMILY TREE
"Wolf's Variety Store in Englewood"
EDITOR'S. NOTE: Residents of Englewood from the late 1940s until 1971 may recall shopping at Wolf's Hardware and Variety Store and finding all kinds of items they needed. Bill
Weist, Jr. grew up in Englewood and holds fond memories of this store. He decided to talk with Virginia Wolf who owned the store with her husband Douglas to learn more about the Wolf family store and its operations. The following paragraphs summarize some of the material gathered by Bill as it was related to him by Virginia Wolf. Thanks to these two members for sharing this history.
Carl Wolf purchased his first store in Englewood from Lon Karns. Karns store had been located in the rear of the large brick building on the NW corner of Rt. 40 and Rt. 48 that housed the Farmers and Merchants Bank. Carl operated this store until the end of WW II. When his son Douglas returned from the service, the father and son operated the store jointly until 1952. (The bank building burned down later but visitors to Englewood today will see a brick plaza and large wall mural on the site that used to be the original Wolf's Store.)
Carl and Doug next purchased a lot from Sam Berger on the south side of Rt. 40 west of the Pure Oil Station. Two small houses on this site were moved to N. Walnut St. and then Wolf's put up a new brick and concrete block store at this location. The new building was 55 x 79 feet. The formal opening of the new Wolf's Variety Store took place during the latter part of October 1952. (In later years, Milton Federal Bank bought the building and used it for their Englewood branch office. Disher's Bicycle Shop was located there and another bike shop is there now.)
By the late 1950s, Wolf's had moved from the new building because of a lack of good customer parking. The third and final site for Wolf's Store was on the north side of National Rd. at the NE corner of Walnut St. and Rt. 40.
This building had off-street parking on three sides and front and back entrances. Whistler's Garage, Palace Auto Sales and Engle's SOHIO gas station occupied this location during other periods. Wolf's operated out of this site until they closed for good in 1971. During this period of time, they were a great asset to Englewood.
Wolf's Store on NE corner of Rt. 40 and Walnut St. in Englewood.
Douglas and Virginia Wolf operated from this location until 1971.