from the April 2005 "Randolph Times"
Volume 7, Issue 2
Our "SHOW AND TELL" program on March 9th was great fun for the twenty members and friends who attended. Many different artifacts were brought in and interesting stories about them were told. Everyone seemed to enjoy the reminiscing and even learning some new things about our area. Since this meeting, Sue Cummings has been busy copying Garwood family photos that were shared that night and numbering other photos and memorabilia donated by Bob Lodge, Bob
Fryman, Pat Kause and others. See page 4 for a complete list of items donated. Some of these photos will appear later this year in the "History Photo of the Month" feature in the Englewood Independent.
We want to make our society the best it can be.
Our efforts can succeed if you, our members, take a more
active role in the society.
An old saying goes "many hands make for light
volunteer to serve or chair one of our standing committees or
offer assistance in other tasks such as filing materials in the
archives room, serving as hosts in the history room, writing
articles about your family for the newsletter,
clipping obituaries and items about the historical
society from local papers,
suggesting speakers for programs or phoning members to
remind them of upcoming events. Everyone's
help is needed.
Dorothy (Vance) Shoenfelt, who attended our program as a guest but has since become a member, shared a 1906 class photo of students and teacher at No. 19 School on the corner of Jay and County Line Rd. You may recall that Randolph Twp. had only ten one-room brick schools, all built in the 1860s-1890s. The last of these schools to be built was
sub-district No. 10, known as Cain Hill School, located in the southern part of the township at the corner of Hoke and Westbrook Rd. The society recently acquired the original architects drawings dated 1891 for this school and the specifications indicated the school would be used for students from both Randolph and Madison Twp. The same situation
occurred along the northern boundary of our township. Thus, No. 19 which actually was built in Miami County, Union Twp. also served Randolph Twp. children (e.g., Becker, Rohrer, Emrick and Hoke families) who lived on nearly farms.
Union Twp. school records indicate that bids for the construction of
sub-district No. 19 school (the last one to go up) were requested in June 1895. Five bids were received and opened on July 22, 1895. Bids ranged from a high of $1613.29 from J. T. Flack, Contractor, Union, OH to a low of $966.77 from J. W. Stoufer, Laura, OH. The low bidder received the contract. A. G. Eidenmiller was appointed as teacher but he resigned on September 14, 1895. Eliza J. Lutz was elected as teacher for No. 19 on April 20, 1896 and may have taught there for a few more years. By 1906, Grace Coates was teacher and Eliza Lutz probably was at No. 10 in Frederick where we know she was teaching from a class photo of her there dated 1907. NOTE: A teacher in a subdistrict school in 1895 received $40/month or $300/7-month contract.
||Information taken from "The Becker-Hemmerich Families" a Genealogical Collection by Arthur M. Schumann and W. H. Beers, History of Montgomery County, 1882
Randolph Township history recognizes the contributions of many different Becker (Baker) families through the years. Most are probably related to John I who was born on the Atlantic Ocean in 1737 when his parents moved to America from S. W. Germany (the palatinate region west of the Rhine). He had a son John II born in Bedford Co., PA. Later the family moved to Lancaster Co. PA. John II and his wife whose maiden name was Snowberger had 9 children who lived to adulthood, i.e., John III, Jacob, Samuel, Andrew, Marie, Henry, David, Elizabeth and Nancy. John II brought his family to Randolph Twp., Montgomery County, OH in 1815. He was accompanied by the William Hart family and they settled on adjoining farms in sections 4 and 5. John III soon married Rebecca Hart with whom he had five children, Henry (1816), David, Rebecca, Abraham and Annie. John III worked with his father John II to clear about 103 acres in Section 4. The two men working together made many improvements on the land including a saw mill along Pigeye Creek, a subsidiary of the West Branch. Both were millers and John III also served as a township trustee for a number of years. Rebecca Hart Becker died in November 1856. Her husband, John III, died a year later at about the age of 66. While growing up, young Henry and probably some of his brothers and sisters attended a nearby subscription school. This most probably was a log school run by Quakers at West Branch. Henry married Sarah Shiltz of Darke County in 1840. His father gave him the saw mill and 24 acres around it where he continued to ply his milling trade. In 1865, Henry built a new saw mill and shipped large quantities of black walnut to distant points on the
C.H. & D. Railroad which stopped at Becker Station. Sarah and Henry had six children: Sarah A. (died age 22), Catherine (m. Fred
Hemmerich), Thomas J. (m. Martha Hickman), John S. (m. Elizabeth
Weybright), Clement and Isaac. Children of some of these later Beckers may have attended No. 19 school in 1906, i.e., Raleigh, Clifford and Ralph Becker and perhaps even Clarence and Ethel Baker.
Our readers may recall that an early hotel in Harrisburg stood at the SW corner of Rt. 48 and Rt. 40. This hotel went by several names but in 1880 it was called the National Hotel and was owned by Jacob E. Becker born in Lancaster Co., PA in 1833. His father was Henry Becker who may have been John III's younger brother who bought a farm of 160 acres in Montgomery County, OH near Liberty (Madison Twp.). When Henry died in 1851, Jacob ran the farm for three years but after his marriage to Nancy Cox in 1857 tried various pursuits before settling into the restaurant and hotel business. He and Nancy had four children three of whom survived to adulthood: Charles E., Clara and Emma. Sometime later, Charles E. was running the local hotel under the name of Harrisburg Hotel. The sign in front of the hotel building shows up in many of Edwin Sink's photos of Englewood ca. 1915.