Randolph Times

Untitled Document
Archived Newsletters
2017

2016

Vol. 18 Issue 4
Vol. 18 Issue 3
Vol. 18 Issue 1
 
2015
 
2014
 
2013
 
2012
 
2011
 
2010
 
2009
 
2008
 
2007
 
2006
 
2005
 
2004



Meeting

Regular meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at 114 Valleyview Dr., Englewood, OH
See Map...

History Center Hours

The History Center is open to the public. Scheduled visiting hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the first Saturday of the month, April through November, weather permitting, and also by appointment. Call 937-832-1858.

Mailing Address:
RTHS
114 Valleyview Drive Englewood, OH 45322

 

©2004-2010
All rights reserved.
RTHS

The President's Messge
Volume 9, Issue 1
From Glynn Marsh

Let me be one of the first to wish all our members and friends a very Happy New Year. Hopefully this history newsletter will be more welcomed in your household than the IRS tax forms and credit card bills that usually show up in the mailbox this time of year.

The year 2007 marks the l0th anniversary of the founding of the Randolph Township Historical Society. Newer members might be interested to know that this group began as a committee formed in the fall of 1997 to make plans to celebrate the merger of unincorporated parts of old Randolph Township with the Village of Clayton.

We had residents from all different sectors of the township including Clayton, Englewood and Union. After the merger was finalized in 1998, our group decided that this part of Ohio needed a local historical society to help preserve memories and memorabilia relating to this area. We chose the name Randolph Township Historical Society to keep the name of the old township alive, since it no longer would exist in the form of a governing body in the area. Our motto “Uniting the Past with the Future” was selected to convey the idea that future achievements always have a basis in history and that we need to be aware of our roots in order to become productive citizens today and in the years ahead. Our society has dedicated itself to making area residents more aware of their local history - including all aspects of their material, cultural and religious heritage.

Our local history has been impacted by national events such as the legislation to build the National Road that was passed by Congress in 1806. When this first interstate highway reached our area in about 1838, many of those emigrating from Pennsylvania along the road decided to stay and make their homes in this area. Harrisburg was platted in 1841 and is representative of many “pike towns” that grew up along the National Road. Today old U.S. Route 40 still runs through Englewood and parts of Clayton. But, another very important road also tied our communities together even before the National Road came through. That road is the Dayton-Covington Pike (now known as Ohio State Route 48) that runs north and south as Main Street in Clayton, Englewood and Union. This road had its beginning as an Indian trail running north from Dayton to Piqua. The earliest settlers to our region used this route to move into the Union area and settle along the Stillwater River. Their names are familiar to all in this part of Ohio and include the Hoovers, Masts, Sheets and others. This year, our society has decided to focus its educational activities on uncovering stories related to the Dayton-Covington Pike. Please share your memories and stories about this road with us!