Union, Ohio: Through the Years...

Meeting

Regular meetings are held at 114 Valleyview Dr., Englewood, OH on the second Wednesday of each month. 7:00 p.m. April - October and 1:00 p.m. November - March.
See Map...

History Center Hours

The History Center is open to the public. Scheduled visiting hours are from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m every Saturday from April through November, weather permitting, and also by appointment. Call 937-832-1858.

Mailing Address:
RTHS
114 Valleyview Drive Englewood, OH 45322

Follow us on Twitter

 

 

2004-2015
All rights reserved.
Randolph Twp. Historical Society

 
Union.jpg (515928 bytes) Union, situated on the banks above the Stillwater River, was the location of many mills including the Hoover grist mill, Shaw sawmill, and Sheets boring mill used in their manufacture of long rifles.  Union was laid out in 1816, one month after Salem.  The Salem-Union Turnpike connected the two and facilitated trade between them.  Union had all the amenities of a larger town including an opera house.  Union residents were served by both the traction and railroad but their closing in the early 1920s resulted in a reduction of activity.  Union today is primarily a residential community taking advantage of growth opportunities on both sides of the Stillwater River.
click to enlarge
   
 
 
Looking North at Martindale from Main St. Union. OH
   
 
  Union, OH. Post Office....N.W. corner Main St, and Martindale
   
 
  Union, OH. Post Office....Hine's Store
   
 
  Men and machines at the Studebaker potato farm on the Dayton - Covington Pike "Rt. 48"
   
1926 aerial photos for Union were taken by William Mayfield. William took aerial photos of forty-six local towns and cities in conjunction with Rike- Kumler's 73rd anniversary celebration.