2

 

Meeting

Regular meetings are held at 114 Valleyview Dr., Englewood, OH on the second Wednesday of each month. 7:00 p.m. April - October and 1:00 p.m. November - March.
See Map...

History Center Hours

The History Center is open to the public. Scheduled visiting hours are from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m every Saturday from April through November, weather permitting, and also by appointment. Call 937-832-1858.

Mailing Address:
RTHS
114 Valleyview Drive Englewood, OH 45322

Follow us on Twitter

 

 

2004-2015
All rights reserved.
Randolph Twp. Historical Society

 

2009 Winter Lecture Series


Program 1: The First 100 Years of Randolph Schools

On Saturday February 28th, Sue Cummings gave a  PowerPoint presentation with colorful slides, and shared her research on the locations of early one room log and brick schools, which were common in the rural parts of the township from about 1812 to 1900. Some fifty attendees enjoyed learning that the cost of educating students in 1892-93 (in records from the Beck School on Fox Road) was about $15.00 per pupil per year. Class sizes were large, sometimes more than forty. In the 1880s, three room, graded schools were built in towns. Graded schools in Clayton, Harrisburg and Union each had three teachers and three levels of instruction. High school classes were first offered in Randolph Township in 1881. High school moved around a lot with students receiving instruction in homes, storefronts and churches until 1901, when the high school students moved into an addition on the Englewood graded school (now the Heck Center). The first separate high school was built in 1913 (later known as the Tietzman Building). It was replaced with a high school addition in 1939 on Randolph Grade School on N. Main Street. Ray Klepinger, maintenance man at the high school for many years, said in an interview taped in 2004 and cited by Cummings in her talk, "When the high school moved from the old building into the new addition, I saved the bronze plaque with its 1913 date, ground off the numbers '13' and replaced them with '39,' and screwed the [recycled] plaque on the wall next to the high school entrance." None of the Randolph alumni in the audience remembered ever seeing the plaque, but it still hangs on the wall where Klepinger mounted it some seventy years ago!

 

Program 2:    Memories of Randolph High. 1939-1959

On Saturday March 28th, three Randolph High School alumni, Quentin (Tom) Jenkinson, Class of 1941; Arthur (Glenn) Brumbaugh, class of 1949; and Martha Eidemiller Craig, Northmont class of 1961, shared their memories of being students at Randolph from 1939 through 1959. This event was particularly well attended, with a standing room crowd of more than ninety packing the History Center. Special guest Chester A. Roush (see  The Family Tree in this web site) renewed friendships with many of his former students and seemed to enjoy hearing "their side of the story." All these comments from the audience were tape recorded to provide a complete record of this program. which will be combined with the other two programs in the 2009 Winter Lecture Series into a booklet about Randolph Township schools history. Topics discussed on March 28th included stories about favorite teachers, coaches, student activities and pranks during the twenty-year existence of the high school. The first few years of Northmont also were mentioned by Richard Shell (in the audience) who was principal during that period, and by members of the class of 1961 who attended two years at Randolph before moving to newly opened Northmont. The "Northmont Years" will be covered more completely in the third and final program in the Winter Lecture Series that is scheduled for 2-4 PM on April 25, 2009. Dr. Gale T. Mabry, who was superintendent of Northmont Schools for forty-one years, will cover this period using a PowerPoint presentation. He also will be presenting information from interviews he conducted with individuals who remember the steps taken leading up to consolidation in 1959. Everyone is invited to attend.

 
Program 3: The Northmont Years, 1959-2009

On Saturday April 25th about sixty people, who are members of the historical society and/or local residents, convened at the RTHS History Center to enjoy a 50-year review of the Northmont school system presented by Dr. Gale T. Mabry and his technical assistant, Mr. Dale White. Mabry, who was employed by Northmont schools for 41 years, began as a teacher and coach in 1967. He continued to hold various positions through the years until retiring as Superintendent of Northmont in 2008. Mabry’s emphasis was on the people who helped make the Northmont system what it is today. Using slides, and quoting information obtained from his personal interviews with early school leaders, Mabry covered the birth of Northmont High School in 1959, which followed a vote by local residents in 1957 to consolidate Clayton, Englewood and Phillipsburg districts. He mentioned the naming contest, won by schoolgirl Patty Bowser, which resulted in the new school being called Northmont from contraction of the two words, “northern” and “Montgomery.”  Student enrollment at all levels grew from 2,245 in 1959, to a peak of about 7,400 in 1979, to slightly less than 5,800 today. During this period, several new neighborhood elementary schools and a new junior high were built, and additions were made to the high school and selected grade schools. Mabry is most proud of the fact that for seven consecutive years under his watch, from 2002 through 2008, the Northmont district received an  “Excellent” rating from the Ohio Board of Education. Mabry’s presentation, along with the two that preceded it, will be available in a booklet to be published by the Society later this summer entitled “200 Years of Randolph Township Schools.”